Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Today I looked in my rearview mirror...

and saw two beautiful 12 year old girls sitting quietly with tears streaming down their faces and letters of rejection in their hands. They spent the past 3 days from after-school until dinnertime running drills, throwing, catching and hitting balls, all with the hopes that they would make the team. They didn't.

What do you say?? 'Oh well... you figured you weren't going to make it anyway since there were no many trying out.' 'Suck it up, you'll be fine.' 'Better luck next year?' I feel like the way I handle this will chart the course of her life. Like if I say the wrong thing, she won't ever try out for a sport again. Like she'll give up, decide she is just 'not athletic and sucks at sports,' like I did when I didn't make the few teams I tried out for in middle school... and we all know how I spent my high school years instead of athletics... and we all know how physically fit I ended up. What a completely helpless feeling of wanting to march right over to the school, barge in and say "WTH!!??? You'll put my freakin' kid... and her friends... on the team now, or I'm gonna have to kick some ass!!" But obviously I can't do that. All I can do is listen to the girls, and plan them a little 'pity party' for Friday night.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh it is too bad they didn't make the team. I never was brave enough to try out for sports, and when I did want to my parents where really put out by the idea of actually having to pick me up. I did get kicked out of a band after a couple of weeks in highschool and my heart was broken. I never dared try out for another one after that. My Dad was really sweet about it and told me that it just wasn't what was in the cards for me. That I would find a better band that appreciated me. Of course I gave up but he was great about it. I feel for you and the girls. Hope they know there may be other things that they were meant to do this year and if they practice they WILL get on the team next year. :)

Rick Jordan said...

Tell her both Grampa and me will help her practice! We will get her on the team next year! I don't think she will quit sports since she LOVES field hockey! Maybe softball just isn't her game!

Anonymous said...

Auntie woulda called the school and demanded 'I thought no kid was to be left behind! Now what F*cking time is practice this week????'