After reading a couple articles that Kristie sent me... and the comments from all my fabulous peeps (THANK YOU!!!!!), and since Rick was in the truth camp, I decided to go with the truth. Especially since we have some time to wrap our heads around the whole thing. It would be a LOT easier to lie... buy Sean is really inquisitive and clever and Nicole was totally right on with the abuse thing, Sean would definitely pick up on that. Plus too many people would have to remember "the story."
So.... I talked to him about it a little bit just now...
"Remember how we brought Sampson to live with us just for a little while to live the rest of his life, right?"
"Yeah. He's way old."
"Yeah... I think we may be getting near that time to take him to the vet to be put to sleep." (I know the experts say use the word 'die' ...but since Sean has already BTDT... he knows what getting put to sleep is)
Sean's head pops up and he says... "Can we get a new dog when Sampson dies!!!?"
So... I think he'll be ok ;-) We talked awhile more and I asked him if he thought he would be as sad as he was with Nicky and he said... "Well... probably not since I haven't known him as long... but I still want to keep his collar if I can."
Hindsight being 20/20... I'm not sure if I would do this all over again. Maybe?
Oh yeah.... and.... did "oh my god that kid is going to grow up with a collar fetish" cross anyone else's mind or am I truly one sick puppy? LOL (I should add to that, that Sean cleaned under the couch in the den the other day and found Lucy's baby collar that she had outgrown and I told him to throw it away since it didn't fit any of our dogs and he vehemently refused and chose to keep it.)
6 comments:
Suddenly all of Fenway's outgrown collars that the kids INSISTED on keeping have me a little concerned...;)
Sean's a smart kid and would have had a lot of questions if he hadn't been told the truth I imagine. I don't think there is a doubt in anyone's mind that you and Rick will do an awesome job helping him though this. Collar fetish and all.
And LOL at the "Yeah, he's way old" remark. He's too funny.
Sounds like he will be fine.
He is really clever, totally would have picked up on the abuse thing. Or wouldn't have said anything and would be thinking the whole time how evil you are to be sending Sampson to a bad place.
You made the right decision.
What do you mean you wouldn't do it all over again?
I don't know if I would have adopted a half-dead dog again had I known that Nicky was going to die so close to the time Sampson would. ...And I also wouldn't again adopt a polar bear that can't walk well and is stubborn as hell and therefore I can't get upstairs to bathe.
Lol, well I think it is a great thing to do. Obviously there was no way to know that Nikki would die so close to when Sampson would and I can understand that being an issue.
I think you taught your children a bigger lesson in being a kind and giving person by adopting a dog in need of a caring loving home for his final days.
Hopefully that is what they really remember from this whole experience.
I am glad you told him and I agree with Nicole that he will be fine! Honestly, I don't believe you wouldn't do it again! You weren't even looking for another dog when you found him! I will happen again sooner or later and I am OK knowing that! Besides, we can't keep our children shielded away and sheltered from natural things like dying! They will never be able to live in society on their own!
Good for you and so glad Sean seemed to understand and was okay with it...Great Job on the talk Colleen! I wish you well I know it won't be easy!
Post a Comment