Sunday, January 30, 2011

I am very impressionable...

This is not new information to most of you.  I am strong and opinionated and I do what I want, when I want, but on the other hand.... I am an advertisers DREAM.  Example.  I LOVE my Droid X phone.  After years of whining about wanting Verizon to get the iphone, Verizon annouced they are getting the iphone!!  ...and I didn't even care.  My phone is better than an iphone.  Couldn't have cared less.  Until the commercials started.... 'the wait is over...."  "iphone and verizon... finally together..." "2.10.11"  After every commercial I have a brief moment of "OOOOOhhhh...  I WANT!!"  WHY!??  I DON'T WANT... I AM  SUCH A SUCKER FOR HYPE!!!!

Anyhoo.  My latest suck-in is the Kindle.  I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact that Nicole just got one too.  NOTHING AT ALL!  The "clincher" was I saw a news story about a new book 'Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.'  I went on Amazon to buy the book and the kindle version was $2 cheaper.  So CLEARLY... I NEEDED a Kindle!!  It practically pays for ITSELF!!  (LOL)

So I am reading my new 'book' on my new Kindle... and the book is completely consuming my thoughts and making me question my parenting.  My kids are freakin' spoiled and undisciplined!  I don't want to be a 'Tiger Mother' and threaten to burn their toys if they don't complete the full daily 90 minute piano lesson... but I also don't want to be the mother who I am.  The mother who lets the kids quit everything they start because "it's boring..."  "it's too hard..." The mother who does not expect excellence and perseverance from my kids and falls for every excuse rather than fight with them about it...."I don't want to practice guitar right now, I'm at the last level of this game."  "I know you said I had to clean my room, but there is a party at _____ tonight, Can't I do it tomorrow?"  (and if you couldn't guess, tomorrow never comes)

One of the things she says in the book that really stuck with me was that NOTHING that you have to learn is fun until you are good at it!  So if you don't work to get good at things... you are NEVER going to have fun!

So... It's time to have some "FUN" here at the Jordan house!  LOOK OUT!!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

:) I love my Kindle! It totally DOES pay for itself - there are almost a million FREE books!! :)

Nicole said...

A. You are not getting an iphone....wait...now you will want one even more if I say that.

B. Glad you got a kindle and back to the reading.....since it has the option of bigger font with your old lady eyes ;)