Thursday, March 06, 2008

DUDE.... I SUCK! ;-)

...and that's ok with me!

I recently submitted this photo for critique. It was after I sent it for critique that I too began to look at it with a 'critic's eye' (Plus I had it set as my wallpaper on my computer at work... so I had a LOT of time to stare at it.) On my own I noticed the 'noise' ...and the dust spots. (I REALLY need to clean my sensor, but I lost the little blower thingy that I bought and refuse to buy another one, I just have to FIND that damn thing!) The critic also said "I suggest trying a different angle so the bright sun isn’t so blinding." I don't really agree with that because I like the way the sun is, and I like that ray of sun that shines down through the needles.

I have learned more from criticism than I have from any books or websites. It can be hard to swallow at first. My very first 'real' criticism was back when I had my Fuji camera and posted that photo ----->on my flickr page from an abrasive European photographer guy who said about this photo... "Flat lighting. Uninteresting." I was like, "WTF Asshole!!?? Who asked ya!?" Then... being who I am... I decided I'd show him!! So I took a new photo <----, paying LOTS of attention to the light, shadows and composition. And the European dude praised my photo... and was glad to take some of the credit ;) Moral of the story... EMBRACE CRITICISM!!! It's one of the greatest learning tools out there! Oh yeah... here's my critique! And yes... I AM crossing my fingers for ONE more day of frost so that I can get out there and give it another try!

And the European dude? Well.... he ended up getting driven out of the flickr group for his frequent abrasive comments and before he left, he reminded everyone about my photo, his comment and how much his comment helped me. Here is his flickr page... I just noticed that he too traded in his Fuji for a Pentax k100d :)

5 comments:

Rhea said...

I don't react well to initial criticism well either, but it usually is helpful. I've joined lots of writing groups and had short stories critiqued.

Anyway, nice photographs!

Wendy said...

LOL...Colleen isn't there a saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"....I think it's Great that you want your work critized and that your learning from it...we learn from our mistakes!! If I had a 10k camera with all the bells and whistles I could probably take photos like Art Wolfe and other outdoor photographers but it isn't going to happen...So I just take joy in the photos I can take and feel lucky when I get a good one!! I am creating memories for my family and that makes me HAPPY!! I love your photos and you have one heck of a camera but I also think you've got a good eye too!! Keep those photos coming and have fun!!

Rick Jordan said...

I don't take criticism very well, either! It is good to see that you take it in stride and show them next time! You are very talented at taking pictures and you can take pictures of whatever you want as far as I am concerned!

Mindy said...

well said Rick. But, it's great that you can take it and learn from it Col!!

Julie said...

I don't like criticism. I take it too personally. But that is part of being creative. I think anytime someone hasn't liked something I have written I have thrown a tantrum and wanted to delete it...But in the end it never hurts to listen. You have improved so much in just the last year. I am always amazed with your pictures. Even the simplest thing holds interest. That is a true talent.