A few weeks ago I was invited to join a "book club." I use air quotes because at my first meeting a few weeks ago, only one of us had actually READ the book that was chosen ;) So instead of a book discussion group, it was more of a 'life' discussion group ...with yummy food and wine, of course ;) The group was started a few years ago (I think) by one of my friend's from work, Dyan, because she knew a lot of women our age who were stay-at-home-moms, or new to the area, or just didn't know that many people and she thought it would be nice to get everyone together. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman!) For the next meeting we are reading "The Friday Night Knitting Club" ...though my working title for it is 'Joy Luck Club for Honkeys and Crackers' ;)I mentioned to Dyan that I had nothing good to read. So she said she had a ton of books and she'd bring me something. I figured she'd bring me A book. I cracked right up when I came in and saw the HUGE stack of books on her desk (they are not all pictured here because I had already read some of them, and some of them I knew I would never read.)... I cracked up even more as we went through them, and she told me about each one and her first sentence for almost every book was "I didn't finish that one, but...." Yeah I know... you kinda had to be there. I just couldn't believe how many she had gotten 3/4's of the way through and then didn't finish... I mean if a book sucks... you can't get THAT far... and if you DO get that far... how can you not just finish it up and find out what happens!?
So right now I am reading the joy luck honkey book... not sure what's on deck yet, but I have PLENTY to choose from!
2 comments:
I need some good books! Ask her if she has anything I would like! Oh wait, I can't read! LOL
Oh Goodness...well have fun!! I agree with you about not finishing a book but reading it 3/4's of the way through, ugh!! If by the 5 chapter I am still having problems bye bye book...Someone had mentioned the "The Zookeepers wife" I read a few chapters and put it down. It was awful to darn depressing and not my kind of book!
Enjoy your books...you should put a thing on your blog about the latest book your reading and if it's any good...give the rest of us a heads up on books!
Post a Comment