Monday, June 23, 2008

Meet Sampson

Sooo… remember how I fell in love with that dog a few weeks ago? Well after I found that webpage, I checked it every day to see if someone had adopted him yet. A couple Sundays ago I noticed that his status had changed to “URGENT” which means…

sometimes we will list Urgent dogs, when that is the case it is usually listed as Urgent because it is on the euthansia list and both the shelter and Almost Home Rescue does not have space for the dog OR a foster home must release the dog, and there is nowhere for it to go and it has to go back to the shelter where it will be euthanized (because it has already used up it's allotted shelter time by law)”

After I read that I went and pouted to Rick that they were going to kill Sampson and Rick said, “Well… you better go e-mail them.” I said, “Seriously!?” and he said, “Well you don’t want him to DIE do you??”

So I e-mailed my application.. honestly I fully assumed that I would be denied because I was blatantly honest on my application (Do you have a fenced in yard? No. Are you will to install a fenced area? No. Are all of your dogs up to date on their vaccinations? No… and they aren’t going to be because Nicky’s vet agrees that at his stage in life he should be enjoying life and not being dragged to the vet for vaccines other than rabies.) and it has always been a HUGE pet peeve of mine that it sometimes it seems like Human Societies and Rescue Leagues will find any little excuse they can find to deem you unworthy for a dog or a cat …but that’s a blog for another day.

So the next day when I did my daily “Sampson check” I noticed that his status was now “PENDING” I was relieved and happy for him! Then I read down further and it said, “Sampson is currently pending adoption to a family in Hampden, ME.” Ummmm… wait…. WHAT!?? I got an e-mail from them that day, they did a home visit that weekend and the next weekend Jessi and I headed down to NH to pick him up. Our trip to NH and our experience picking him up is a whole blog post in itself, so I'll save that for tomorrow!!

6 comments:

Julie said...

How is he getting along with the other dogs? That story was so touching. I know we tried to rescue a big ol bloat of a dog that we named Bruce...He was too much dog for this little house...I have always felt bad about having to take him back...I was glad to hear someone adopted him a few days after we brought him back. Good luck with your big fluff ball~ :)

Colleen said...

He gets along fine with everyone because he is basically a happy, tailwagging piece of furniture ;) Because of his hip, he pretty much just lays around and whever anyone walks by he quickly rolls over for just the chance there might be a belly rub in his future ;)

Ingrid said...

I'm not brave enough to rescue a dog and I think it's WONDERFUL that you guys saved his life :)

He looks's like he'll take hours to brush! LOL!

Nicole said...

I think it is great that you saved his life.
You get bonus points for his size!!!

I still think you are DOG CRAZY!!

Anonymous said...

very sweet looking dog... Good luck with him!

Julie said...

Awe he sounds so cute. I know I love my little dog and would love to get a little fluffy ugly looking thing for Zackie to love. Maybe someday. It just has to be small because this house is not made for it. He does look like he will take a lot to brush but if he loves attention he will eat it up. :) Cute guy can't wait to meet him.