Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Not a big fan of green beans...


...until TODAY!!!!!

While we were at camp I finally read the Cook's Illustrated magazine that Liz gave me a month or so ago. I fell INSTANTLY in love. I have never learned SO much from ONE magazine issue in my life!!

One of the things that I wanted to try was the Roasted Green Beans. They claimed that cooking them in this way would... 'bring out their natural sweetness and convert tough, boring old supermarket beans into something special.' I figured, beans are cheap...why not give it a shot. So for dinner we had something completely different and very chic sounding (lol... a little too much Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen watching going on here I guess). ;) ;)

Sauteed Garlic Beef Tips with Baby Portobello Mushrooms and Roasted Green Beans.


As Rachel Ray would say...YUMMO!!!! Everyone loved it and all but licked their plates!! The best part about the meal was it all took about 20 minutes and was easy peasy!!!

Here's the green bean recipe as I made it....

1 pound green beans, stem ends snapped off
1 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Spread the beans on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss with your hands to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss again to coat evenly, and distribute the beans in an even layer. Roast for 15-20 minutes.

The recipe has you toss and spread again midway ...but as I have mentioned in the past.... this is the "house of 'half-ass'" and I didn't bother ;) Mine also could have used another few minutes I think.... but I was done cooking ;)

The beans will shrivel up a bit and get a little brown and caramelized in spots... and that is what makes them GRRRRRREAT!!!!

3 comments:

Rick Jordan said...

This IS NOT the house of half ass! LOL! You had me licking my plate then laughing out loud with that comment! It was very yummy and you should definitely make it again!

Nicole said...

Sounds YUMMY!

Wendy said...

Oh my...now it's midnight here and I'm hungry, lol...I saved the recipe and will have to try it...but my hubby is not a veggie person what so ever....and neither is my son...but my stepson is so I'll try it!! Thank you ma'am for sharing!!