Monday, November 30, 2009

Either we effed them up royally, or just normal teenage forgetfulness?

Part of the "fun" of having a kid that plays sports is all the new stuff you get to buy every season... cheerleading is no exception.  Today I called Jessi between school and cheering to check in and at the end of the conversation, she throws in a quiet "My cheering sneakers got stolen."  "Wait..... WHAT!!??"  "My cheering sneakers got stolen." Umm... yeah... I got that... how about some freakin' DETAILS about the stealing of the BRAND NEW JUST BOUGHT LAST WEEK FOR $70 FREAKIN DOLLARS SNEAKERS!!!!???  Apparently they were in the locker room, in a 'basket where they can put their stuff'  NOT in a locker where they COULD have been.  As the story unraveled further AFTER I called the school, they had been left in said "basket" since before vacation.  Hmmm... news to me that they had been left at school at all.

So now I have a kid at cheer practice who knows she is dead meat when she gets picked up.  I also have a smorgasbord of punishment ideas.  I also have to suck it up and buy a new freakin' pair of SEVENTY DOLLAR SNEAKERS... which freakin KILLS ME!

So I call Rick... FURIOUS... and of course he just says "Oh well.... kids forget stuff... I'm sure she didn't mean to...." yada yada yada. He did manage to agree that she should have to do chores to earn back the money.  (OH HELL YEAH she is going to do chores... I'll not be lifting a freakin' finger for a LEAST a week!!!!!!!!)  Being Rick's polar opposite... I went straight to... "We have ruined our children.  They are spoiled brats who don't appreciate the things that we buy or do for them and they don't know the value of the dollar.  If Jessi was from a family who was poor... or who didn't buy their kids stuff all the time... she would have kept those sneakers by her side all the time because she knew there was no way she'd get another pair!!!!!"

So yeah... opposite ends of the spectrum there. 

Maybe I should consider myself lucky that he at least agreed there needs to be punishing.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

My vote is just normal teenage forgetfulness... hang in there, this too shall pass ((HUG))