Friday, July 25, 2008

Conversation in the car

Sean: Mommy, When will you die?

Me: Huh? (caught me off guard there)

Sean: When are you going to die?

Me: You mean like when I am old and just die from being old?

Sean: Yes. Will I be a grown up when yo die?

Me: If I die from old age you will.

Sean: Well what if I'm not a grown up when you die, who will take care of me?

Me: Um......................................................... :::lightbulb/duh moment::: DADDY of course!

Sean: Why not Nana?

Me: Because if just Mommy died, then you would just stay in our house with Daddy and he would take care of you.

Sean: Well.... what if you BOTH die?

Me: Well.... I'm not really sure, but I know that there are a LOT of people that would want to take care of you. B and Grampa, Uncle Tim, Uncle Chris...

Sean interrupts: And Nana.

Me: Yes, and Nana. And lots of other people too. But I don't think you really need to worry about that because I will probably die when you are a grown up.

Sean: How old will I be?

Me: :::trying to do some fast math::: Well.... if I die when I am 80, then you will be..........um....... well..... 52.

Sean: THAT'S A OLD MAN!

Me: Well... not REALLY.

Sean: Yeah it is... that's old like Daddy!

Me: (hee hee) No... Daddy is only 39! That's not old!

Sean: Remember that time the plane flew over us and almost landed on our car? (Not really... We were on the interstate by the airport when a plane was landing once a couple years ago and it made QUITE an impression on his little brain!) That was scary but it was awesome!

Me: Yup. That was pretty awesome.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

I WANT KIDS!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Rick Jordan said...

He is a weirdo! He does crack me up though!

Ingrid said...

That's SO WEIRD because Aidan was just asking me these same questions the other day. I wonder if it's age related or something?

Artistically Twisted said...

Okay... I have to tell you This was one of the coolest read throughs I have seen in a long time...

I think knowing Sean a and picturing the looks that he gets on his face while in different moods helped to give me a total visual on this.

You have great kids.

Anonymous said...

He can be so pensive, eh? And, of course, Nana would step up to the plate...though I'm sure you and Rick will both outlive me!