Thursday, May 03, 2007

The birds and the bees

Ugh. Yesterday day Jessi brought home a letter from her school letting me know that next week they will be separating the boys and girls to watch an informational video about sex and puberty. The letter also encouraged parents to encourage their children to write out a question they would like answered during the Q and A/discussion after the movie. That makes no sense whatsoever. You have 2 kinds of parents when it comes to this topic. The kind that pretend sex doesn't exist... who certainly are not going to encourage their kids to write a question. And the kind that are open and honest about sex and also are not going to encourage their kids to write down any questions because if their kids HAVE questions about sex... the parents will answer them.

Jessi didn't feel well all yesterday evening. Finally right before bed she told me that she thought her bellyache was because she doesn't want to watch that movie. Typical Jessi. I swear that kid is going to have an ulcer before she can vote. We talked about it and I told her that is was pretty silly to be worried about that movie since she already knows about everything in it. That it would just be like any other 'documentary' that she has seen about the body on the discovery channel. Then she says "Actually... it's a cartoon." We both got laughing about that and how silly it will probably be. She said she felt better about the whole thing and wasn't worried anymore.

We'll see if the bellyache comes back next week.....

2 comments:

Rick Jordan said...

Yeah- I remember those days! My favorites are the parents who come and get their kids so they don't watch the movie!

Anonymous said...

I was stressed out about that movie thing too...It was weird. My parents well my mom had already prepared me for most of the things I was going to face. I wish I could be as open about it as my mother was with me. Zack I am sure knows more than I think he does, but he has shut down the last few times I have tried to explain it. I really want Jerry to do it. He is uncomfortable about it, but Zack is not comfortable with me telling him...after all he is a boy and well some things I just can't answer without asking Jerry. :)