I make a DAMN GOOD turkey if-I-do-say-so-myself. I even taught Nicole my secret and now she too makes a damn-good-turkey-if-she-does-say-so-herself.
My secret. Oven Bags. The turkey is BEYOND JUICY and takes less than HALF the time to
cook. So while women all over the USA are getting up at the ass-crack of dawn to get the turkey in the oven only to end up with meat that you have to dip in your glass of water in order to swallow... I am sleeping in... and ending up with a turkey that is moist and juicy. The only drawback of cooking in the bag is that the skin is not crispy. As you can see over there --> It's still brown and flavorful, just not crispy.The only complaint has been from Rick's parents. They miss the crispy skin. Liz says, "Your turkey is just delicious and the meat is far better than mine... but I just gotta have my crispy skin!" Last year they even made a turkey the day after thanksgiving just for the skin (and because there were so many of us there were no leftovers). Grrr.
So.... my favorite cookin' blogger, The Pioneer Woman, is currently running a series of Thanksgiving dinner blogs. She brines her turkey (with Williams Sonoma brining seasoning... for $1
6 plus shipping-and out-of-stock til December... so obviously I would be finding a homemade brining recipe) before roasting and it looks DAMN GOOD!! And she says it's hella mega juicy and flavorful too. AND it MUST have the coveted CRISPY SKIN!So.... DO I go with the old Stand-by that every LOVES and RAVES about (well...almost everyone ;) ) ....or try something new that just might please EVERYONE??
9 comments:
Well- I KNOW I like the way you usually make it so I will go with bag! I am sure it would be good the other way but I don't like messing with perfection!
Colleen: My SIL makes a brine trukey from Martha Stewart and it is to die for. We end up in a turkey coma after dinner!
Crispy skin, Juicy meat... I am sorry that I am not going to be in Mass this year to have some.
ass-crack... now that's one to keep ;) I think that you should make the one you like best! you could always cook a small tukey breast for the crispy skin.
Hey Ma'am I do the bag thingy too...20 minutes before it's done I cut the bag open and let the turkey brown...the skin is crispy and no one has ever complained...You do what your comfortable with...I agree with you it's nice because it takes a lot less time and mess!! Rick is right don't mess with perfection!!
BUT it's always fun to try new stuff! Especially with food!! =o)
It isn't always fun to try things on the BEST holiday of the year! Football, hunting and food! How can you top that?
OOps= that was me! Why were you on my computer?
who is on the invitation list this year?
Same as last year as far as I know. Though I haven't talked to your sister.
Post a Comment