Thursday, September 14, 2006

Allez cuisine!

Tis the season for cooking!! Nicole mentioned the other day feeling that she needed to add some new recipes to her repertoire...and got me thinking I needed to do the same!! I have already re-incorporated our cold weather favs back into the rotation...American Chop Suey...Homemade Chicken Stew w/homemade noodles...homemade beef stew with little dough balls...meatloaf (I make a KICK ASS meatloaf if I do say so myself!!)....YUMMY!!! I even made my own chicken stock from scratch today with the leftover chicken from last nights oven BBQ chicken to freeze for next time I make the chicken stew. I totally {heart} cooking!! Rick's mom makes an AMAZING lasagna...which I have never made cuz well...yuck :p...BUT he has been BEGGING me to make him a lasagna and in an attempt to con me into doing so he challenged me to find a REALLY great recipe that tops his moms (yes...he is a naughty son). I said 'no...I am not making you a stupid lasagna, ask your mother'...as I searched allrecipes.com for the best rated one ;) I am going to make it on Saturday and pop it in the fridge for him to bake on Sunday when I am at a crop. Here is the one I am going with. It sounds pretty yummy and DEFINATELY like something Rick will totally love. Also on my grocery list is the ingredients to make this. It's a BIG departure from our usual fare...but I am going to give it a shot...the reviews are great!

Here's my meatloaf recipe (ok...I confess it's actually my MOM's great recipe....lol) that even people who hate meatloaf love! It also doubles as a great meatball recipe. I make it in the kitchen-aid with the dough hook so that I don't have to touch it. I was making it when my brother was over the other day and he laughed when I put it in the kitchenaid as he recalled how mom used to make US mix it with our hands because SHE didn't want to touch it...AND managed to even make us think we were SO LUCKY that she was letting us do it...lol!!

Meatloaf
2lbs ground beef
1 can tomato soup
2 eggs
Seasoned bread crumbs (maybe a cup? I just slowly add it in til it gets to the right 'firmness' to put in the pan)
Garlic and onion powder
Salt and pepper
beef gravy on it when served (I like the canned franco american....or the heinz in the jar)

I cook mine in a round cake pan...my mom uses a loaf pan. My mom also pours some of the tomato soup on the top and then sprinkles the breadcrumbs over that...but I am not a big fan of tomato ANYTHING...so I just sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and it makes a super yummy crust!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Your Meatloaf is FANTASTIC and I have never liked any other meatloaf!
I will have to look for the recipe I have for lasagna, it is great!
Might be the same one you already have.
Tonight I made my own oven baked fries and it was a big hit!