Thursday, September 07, 2006

McDonald's Musings....

I wonder if sociologists have ever just sat in the Playplace and done studies? I could sit in there all day and just watch the insanity that goes on in that place. (OK...I couldn't REALLY....I get bored there fast unless I bring a magazine ;) ) We played at the Brewer playground the day before yesterday for around an hour. I like to take him there because I can usually bank on there being lots of kids his age there....and the social interaction is the whole reason we go there! Not that day. It was a ghost town. So I was lucky enough to be his playground playmate of the day ...hee hee ;) We...slid...we climbed...we played tag...we monkey barred (actually...I held his legs while HE monkey barred)...and we swang. After about an hour of still no kids showing up...and Sean starting in with the "I'm REALLY ReALLY HOT, MOM....I'm GONNA DIE of bein' hot...REALLY I AM! LOOK AT MY SWEAT" So we left. I suggest going to get a drink...He asks to go the the playplace... I figure...why not..we have nothing else to do... so we go.

Thank goodness there are some kids there for him to play with...cuz I wasn't gettin in those hot, smelly tubes today ...especially with the scary old playplace lady that looks like Ronald McDonald on duty...she rules that playplace with an iron fist!! ;) So Sean and I each sit down with our Happy Meals (I get one too ....saves calories... and Sean gets 2 toys)...Sean sips his drink and goes off to play. I sit and watch him...and the other parents.

I see...

-A mother who talks on her cell phone the entire time they are there and completely ignores everything her kid says to her...COMPLETELY oblivious to the "Mommy...Mom...Mommy...Mommy....MOM....MOM....." every few minutes that the rest of us have NO trouble hearing.

-A couple moms that won't allow their kids to go play until they finish thier lunch. This one seriously drives me bonkers. YES...Let's teach the kids that fat-laden...sugar filled deep fried food is MUCH more important than exercise!! That makes sense. Not to mention I think it's pretty mean to put something REALLY cool in right in front of a kid and then tell them they can't do it. So not only are they eating the crap...they are scarfing it down as fast as they can so they can go play....teaching them mindless eating which also is not a healthy habit.

-Then there is the mom who stands under the playplace the ENTIRE time coaching her kid thru EVERY STEP she takes..."IT'S OK SWEETIE...KEEP GOING...YOU CAN DO IT...GO THRU THE TUNNEL....KEEP GOING..........................." Cut the cord lady. I understand every now and then having to get up for a little coaching...but this lady did this the ENTIRE time they were there!!

-Then there is the parent who's kid is refusing to leave and won't come out of the structure. (hee hee...these ones always make me laugh...probably because I am not the one dealing with it...lol) So for 5 or 10 minutes we all get to listen to, "It's time to go...come on out...we have to go home now...(it always starts out nice and light before going to the darkside)....I mean it...we REALLY need to leave...you need to come out of there NOW...I am going to leave without you...ok bye...I MEAN IT!! YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THERE NOW! .... IF YOU DON'T COME OUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO COME BACK HERE! (yeah...right)....." I don't really get this one either. I mean...Sean is right up there on the naughty scale...lol...but he has never done this. Jessi never did it...and I have never seen Sean's buddy Sophie do it. I'm PRETTY sure it's a parenting thing. I just tell them 2 more slides and we are going to leave. They slide 2 more times...and go get thier shoes on...and we leave.

That's not even all....but I have gone on and on enough....

No comments: