Thursday, March 08, 2007

A season for change

Just spent the morning gathering up all my crap and filling out my FAFSA. I have been putting it off for about a month and it was time to get my butt in gear. I think what got me going was seeing a commercial that Bangor's kindergarten registration is coming right up. YIKES!! Soon I have to register my BABY for kindergarten!!!

Fall is going to be a big time of change for this family! Sean and Jessi will both be in school all day. I will be in school AND doing my internship, AND probably working part-time! I think I am going to do my internship working with the elderly. (ok.... you can all (except Nicole because she already knew this) pick yourselves up off the floor) The reason I would like to do this is that I really enjoyed visiting my grandfather in the nursing home. If it wasn't so far away I think I would have visited often. I loved how much joy they all got in just watching my kids play, and how much they loved to just TALK! To have someone just LISTEN to their story! I think that the way so many elderly (especially the poor) are treated in our country is very sad. I would hate to think that someday when I am old someone is going to lock me in a chair in a hallway and I will sit there all day without talking to anyone... and then at the end of the day get stuck in bed. Old people are still PEOPLE! They had and still HAVE lives. They have stories to tell. They need companionship. There are some great people working in nursing homes. But there are far too many people who work in these places are are there only for a paycheck and treat those old folks like a piece of meat. I know that there are some really gross and sad aspects to working with the elderly. But after 80 or 90 years of being on this earth, haven't most of them earned a happy ending?

Anyhoo... I want to do this internship to see if it is something that I would like to do with my life. What better way to try it out, right? My internship for my A.S. degree showed me that I really DON'T want to work with little kids as a preschool teacher. Maybe this one will show me that I don't want to work with the elderly.... maybe it will end up being my life's calling... who knows??

5 comments:

Rick Jordan said...

hmmmm, not really the direction I thought you would choose! Good for you though- you are 100% right! I hope I will never be to the point where I can't take care of myself but I guess I can see how important it is for them to have someone to talk to.

Nicole said...

Can't wait for the day you see old man BALLS!! HEE HEE!! Old people are fun, maybe you will love it!

Colleen said...

Ewwww... I don't even wanna see YOUR old man balls!!

....and.... just for the record... direct care is NOT my goal ;)

Anonymous said...

My cousin works as a grief counselor (did I spell that right, anyway) for the elderly. They do love to share and talk and really look forward to having someone their for them. I used to clean houses and run erands for several elderly people. I will say for me it was hard because I got way too close. I think though it is a wonderful idea Colleen. Really cool. Let me know if you need help with the kids. You know I am right down the street and I have to get my kid at school anyway. BTW I would have brought Jessie home the other day I tried to get her attention before she ran to call you and have her tell you I would bring her. Anytime really...I don't say those things and don't mean it. (yes even Sean :)

Artistically Twisted said...

That is awesome Colleen...

That is cool and if you ever do need somewhere for the kids to be they are welcome over here... I am pretty sure that Me and Zack could keep Sean entertained and Jessi could sit with Julie and roll her eye at how retarded we all are.
:0)

...and Remember "Geezer~Balls" should be something the warn ya about but they may just roll out into the hall.... Direct care or not... you may end up looking at Geezer~Balls.