I listen to Dr Laura pretty much every day. I like to listen while I cook and clean. I like to listen and roll my eyes at the people who call and say they have been listening for a million years and then ask a REALLY STUPID question like, "I am living with my boyfriend and I just found out I was pregnant and I can't decide if I should get an abortion or not" and then listen to the fireworks that ensue. It's like guilt-free gossip for me ;) I agree with much of what she says about keeping families together.... taking care of our husbands... staying home with the kids... I don't agree with just as much of what she believes about... the war... abortion... 'shacking up'.... So anyway.... Yesterday I was listening and I have to say I was really disturbed by her handling of a couple calls and it has been weighing on my mind. A man called saying that he and his identical twin brother were soldiers, his brother was killed and he has taken on the the responsibilities of his brothers wife and children in addition to his own. The mans unit has been called back to Iraq and he was given the option to not go because he is the only support for both families and because his brother had already been killed in the war and he is the only son left in his family. She basically sent him back to Iraq saying that he is a natural born warrior and that warriors must do what they are born to do...which he agreed with. Within the hour a 19yr old girl called and she too was struggling with the decision of whether or not to join the Navy.... Dr Laura sent her off to war too! WTF!!???? I just don't understand it how anyone at this point can be all "HOO-RAH!" about the war at this point! She pretty much sent those 2 people... (one of which is the only support for TWO families) away to die for WHAT?? What are they accomplishing at this point? Even if we "win"...what have we "won?"
So anyway... I am annoyed but I will still listen. A 'better' person would 'put their money were their mouth is' ...but I enjoy listening and I am not willing to do that... if that makes me 'not a better person'.... oh well.. I've been called worse ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment