I keep all my pictures sorted in a box. I noticed on Ali Edward's Blog (actually it may have been her "Life Artist Newsletter")a couple months ago that she used to do that too, but then switched over to pocket albums so that her family could still look at them ...and because it was easier to flip through the album than dig through a box to find the pictures that she wanted to scrap. That has been on my mind ever since I read it! If the whole 'point' of all this scrapping stuff is so that my family can enjoy my pictures... then WHY am I hiding them in a box!?
So.... the other day I picked up an album at Walmart and put all my 2007 pics in it that are waiting to be scrapped. The kids IMMEDIATELY grabbed the album and sat together on the couch looking at the pictures and talking about all their memories (the album is mostly Disney pics). They got JUST AS MUCH enjoyment from that album as they do from my albums with pages that took me an hour or 2 or 3 to create! It was kind of a moment of 'disillusionment' a moment of 'WHY am I wasting my time and money (LOTS of money) scrapbooking when all people really care about is the pictures and journaling?? Nobody other than another scrapbooker looks at a page and realizes how long it took to faux stitch all around that photo, or to cover, paint, sand and ink that chipboard heart. Of course most people think it's great and I always get lots of 'ooohs and aahhhs' for my stuff, but I pretty much got those same reactions when I scrapped Creative Memories style and just had matted pics and stickers on a white page.
So where am I going with all this? I have no idea. I do know that I haven't felt like scrapping as much (although I have still been buying scrap stuff like I scrap all day ...every day ;) ) and that putting all my 2007 pics in that album gave me a great feeling of being 'caught up.' Like even if I don't ever scrap those pics, they are in an album for everyone to look at. Of course I still love scrapbooking and don't see myself ever stopping. But now that my pics are in an album for people to enjoy... I can just scrapbook whatever I feel like scrapbooking and it can be more about having fun with creativity, not... "I HAVE to get those Easter pics scrapped"....or "UGH...I still haven't scrapped those Disney Pics and there are so many of them!! I dont' feel like I can scrap anything else til I get those done!!"
2 comments:
That is like me hunting my whole life and finding out I don't like deer meat! Your scrapped stuff is way better than just pics but there are six pics on every page and it is way easier to look through a lot of pics by looking at the album you just put together than an entire album with like 30 pictures in it!
I second that!!!!! (what Rick said) :D
Post a Comment