When Jessi was 8 she stunk. Literally. She was starting to 'develop'...and with that she brought along some BO. Yuck. When I took her to the doctor I expressed my concern that it was a bit early for that stuff, and the doctor just gave me the old..."All kids are different and some develop earlier than others" line. I wasn't satisfied, so started to research the issue. I found several websites that talked about the growth hormones in milk causing early development in girls...and while I was 'iffy' about the whole thing... I decided it couldn't hurt to try only buying milk without any. So I did. And almost immediately Jessi didn't stink anymore. And all other signs of developing were halted. I have never bought store brand milk again.
Then last night I was watching my new favorite show, 'House.' The whole show focused on the fact that everything you get on your skin is ingested just as though you had eaten it....and how dangerous some of the things we put on our skin everyday are. Makes sense. When you rub lotion on yourself ...it gets absorbed into your skin...into your body. Would you eat your lotion...your shampoo...your lipstick? So again... I started doing some research and was shocked at the bounty of information there is on this stuff. I was also shocked at the dangerous ingredients contained in some of the stuff I...and my kids... use everyday!! Shampoos with more hormones than milk.... sunscreen with ingredients that cause women to be unable to get pregnant or carry a baby to term! The worst of all that I discovered that I use every day (so far) is the Clean and Clear Morning Burst. (link to the data report) I love that stuff! It smells so good! It also has ingredients that are known to cause several different cancers, compromise your immune system, cause kidney and liver toxicity...among other things. Not only does it contain those ingredients, but it also contains an ingredient that increases the ability of your skin to allow them to penetrate through (as most cosmetics do). YIKES. That one went in the trash last night!
So I guess some changes are in order around here!
And now we are off to completely immerse ourselves in chemicals at the Hampden Pool ;)
4 comments:
You are freaking me out! I knew about milk but not all of the other stuff. Thanks for the info! I will have to check it out.
I have never bought store brand milk since that whole thing with Jessi. I will have to check out what other stuff we use that could be bad!
You guys are a bunch of worry warts! Come on, you break down everything you eat, smell, feel or inhale and MOST of it would be bad for you! No real need to go overboard and start looking into everything! Life would be zero fun if you didn't do anything that can or could harm you!
I switch over to stuff from the natural living center many times due to allergies. We are surrounded all the time with chemicals. I have to say though, once you are used to super clean clothes and really soft hair you have a hard time going back to wax and salt to clean yourself LOL...Olive oil soap makes you feel like you took a bath in well Olive Oil. I am back to using Tide because my clothes smell like Me I sure missed that touch of Downey! I watched that show too and it is freaky. I think with the exception of the grownth harmones....We all develope resistence to some of these chemicals. there are some people however that go into toxic shock from the chemicals. John Travolta has a son Jet I think his name is who has this condition. People were giving John Travolta shit about not wearing the same t-shirt twice on a movie set, but they dry cleaned them and the chemicals were very toxic to his son. Any who .... No animals were harmed in the making of this comment ...
Post a Comment