After reading a certain blog...the topic of personality disorders has been on my mind today. It wasn't very clear in said blog if the person was talking about thier own struggles in that department, or if they were trying to send some cryptic message to one of their readers? Later that day I was talking to my mom (the ex-psych nurse and current nurse educator) on the phone about personality disorders and the fact that EVERYONE has one to some degree. How everyone is different and individual...but that there are only so many 'types' of personalities. I think the whole 'disorder' part is a convenient way to sell medication and psychiatric treatment. All of such "treatments" are a moot point anyway because you can't change someone's personality. I know that many out there don't agree with my views on the psych world at ALL and my best friend and I have had MANY a heated argument when this topic comes up. (it gets realllllly heated when we get talking about alcohol and drug abuse and my belief that it's a choice and not a disease...but that's a whole other blog ;) )BUT....being the antisocial personality that I am...there is no changin' my mind ;) SO....While Rick watched the NHL Finals (GAG!) I found a bunch of online 'personality disorder' tests. According to THIS one I am 84% Antisocial...40 something% avoidant. All my others were below the average.
http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.HTML
According to THIS test http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv ...I am rated high in the narcissistic category (oh my!) I also rated moderate in paranoid, antisocial and histrionic categories.
In another one which I can't find the link to I was diagnosed with ADD (ROFL...I SOOO am not ADD...had to laugh at that one!)
So what have we learned today kiddies? Well...for one thing you shouldn't rely on the Internet for your psychiatric needs. For another thing....I have heard time and time again throughout my life that you should NEVER attempt to diagnose ANYONE unless you are a doctor...and since I don't know any of those personally...I shouldn't be hearing anyone throwing around diagnosises around like cream pies.
And last of all a challenge to you all to find me someone who is 'normal'. I dare you.
No comments:
Post a Comment